A message from the Acting Chair of Governors
Welcome to our website! My name is John Capper and I am the Acting Chair of Governors.
Please find below details of how our Governing Body is structured, including the names, categories, responsibilities and terms of appointment for each Governor.
If a parent or carer has a concern about their child, or the School generally, they should take it up in the first instance with their Class Teacher or Headteacher as appropriate. If your concerns are not met, I can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org
It is a pleasure to contribute to the life and wellbeing of this happy Church of England (VC) Primary School.
Our Governors 2020/2021
We are very fortunate to have a committed and dedicated team of Governors. Their role is crucial in the continuing success and development
of Woodthorpe C of E (VC) Primary School.
The law states that the purpose of governing bodies in our type of school, is to “conduct the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement at the school” (Section 21(2) Education Act 2002).
In practice this means we have six core functions:
- Strategic leadership that sets and champions vision, ethos and strategy
- Accountability that drives up educational standards and financial performance
- People with the right skills, experience, qualities and capacity
- Structures that reinforce clearly defined roles and responsibilities
- Compliance with statutory and contractual requirements
- Evaluation to monitor and improve the quality and impact of governance
More information can be found in The Governance Handbook 2020 from the DfE.
On conversion to an Academy in June 2019, the Governors at Woodthorpe C of E (VC) Primary School agreed to restructure the way that they work. This means that:
- Woodthorpe C of E (VC) Primary School’s Full Governing Body now meet every half term with no sub-committee meetings being held. Items discussed previously at sub-committee level are now tabled at Full Governing Body meetings. This enables all Governors to get a full, strategic view of the School’s work so they can better support and challenge.
- Governor are warmly invited to visit the School and visit the classes, working alongside the children, staff and senior leaders.
- Link Governors work alongside the School and closely monitor their key areas to ensure that our children’s progress is closely monitored, supported and challenged.
Policies, set out in a clear way, form the framework within which our school operates. The monitoring of school policies is the responsibility of the Full Governing Body; this is the time for Governors to develop their strategic role, planning, monitoring and reviewing school progress. Policies are available for parents via the School Office or on the policy page of this website.